Rates and Benefits
As well as actively supporting modernist studies in the UK, new and renewing members will receive:
- A print subscription to Modernist Cultures, which is published four times a year
- Online access to Modernist Cultures
- Free or reduced access to all BAMS events, including postgraduate training days, conferences and the ‘New Work in Modernist Studies’ graduate symposia
- Access to members-only content on the BAMS website, including training resources and publisher discounts
- Eligibility for entry to the new BAMS essay prize for early-career researchers
Memberships are available on two levels:
- Standard (waged) rate of £50 per annum
- Student and unwaged rate of £40 per annum
We also offer two further levels of membership with an online-only year’s subscription to Modernist Cultures. Members choosing these online-only rates will not receive print copies of the journal but will be eligible for all the other benefits of full membership:
- Online-only standard (waged) rate of £35 per annum
- Online-only student and unwaged rate of £30 per annum
Become a Member online
To join BAMS, please go to our Society Page at Edinburgh University Press
For all membership enquiries please write to email@example.com
The membership term runs with the calendar year (1 January – 31 December).
A note on 2018 price rises
The main reason for the increase in price of membership for 2018 is that Modernist Cultures is moving from three issues to four issues a year. The editors explain that the journal has gone from strength to strength and receives large numbers of very good submissions. The additional issue will allow them to publish more of these submissions and to do so promptly, ensuring that readers continue to receive the very best of cutting-edge research in the field. We hope that, as readers of Modernist Cultures and as contributors to the journal, BAMS members will welcome this development.
In addition to this price rise, we have made some adjustments to the subscription fees in response to a change in the proportion of members who are opting for the online-only as compared to the print + online membership. Our aim has always been to keep the price of online only memberships as low as possible to ensure that BAMS membership remains within reach of as many people as possible. However, as BAMS receives significantly less income from online only memberships, this affects the amount of money we have available to support modernist scholarship, and postgraduates in particular. We hope in this way to future-proof our income stream, and we are not anticipating a further price rise until 2020 at the earliest.
Following discussion within the Executive Committee, the OGM also approved our decision to abolish differential rates for UK and International members. We are keen to encourage international membership, and to continue to build meaningful international collaborations within modernist studies. In that light we felt that charging overseas members more for their subscriptions did not represent the core values of BAMS.