BLAST 2014 Interdisciplinary Conference, Bath Spa (24th/25th July 2014)
We invite proposals for 20 minute papers on any aspect of BLAST and Vorticism, and positively encourage research emanating from a diverse range of disciplines, particularly: literary criticism; cultural criticism; art; art history; history; sociology.
Please send a 250-word abstract, with title, to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1st April 2014.
Themes of the conference include:
– Can there be a 2014 equivalent to the Vorticist moment of 1914?
– The lives and works of individual Vorticists.
– Visual and Literary Vorticism.
– BLAST and other modernist magazines.
– Origins and legacies of BLAST and Vorticism.
– BLAST and World War One.
– The effect of World War One on the Avant-Garde
– Vorticism: Nationalist or Internationalist?
– Enemy of the Stars and Expressionist drama.
– The philosophical origins of Vorticism, and their transformation in Wyndham Lewis’s
– We also invite artists who have been influenced by (or who feel their work interacts
with) Vorticism, and we welcome suggestions for round-table discussions.
The deadline for proposals is 1st April 2014. All submissions will be reviewed in April and May and delegates will contacted by early June 2014. Please include institutional affiliations, society membership and contact details.