Wyndham Lewis’s quintessentially modernist novel Tarr was published in 1918 (Knopf, USA; Egoist Press, UK). To commemorate the centenary of the novel’s publication, the 2018 volume of JWLS seeks 7- to 10,000-word essays reconsidering Tarr’s significance, legacy, and meaning. We are particularly interested in essays approaching Tarr from innovative angles and standpoints. All submissions should try to engage with the most relevant scholarship. Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
- the legacy of Tarr and its achievements;
- the contexts of social satire and avant-gardism informing the novel;
- Lewis’s self-questioning accounts of artistic and social ideals through Tarr;
- connections between Tarr and contemporary art movements, especially Vorticism, Cubism, Expressionism, Futurism, and Impressionism;
- the relationships between Tarr and other modernist and non-modernist texts, works, and creative disciplines and practices, across painting, sculpture, dance, and music;
- Tarr and magazine history / the politics of serial publication;
- the aesthetics of the novel in relation to Lewis’s work as a painter;
- interdisciplinary approaches to the novel that situate it in various critical contexts (e.g. psychological explorations of Tarr’s characters; sociological analyses of Tarr’s institutions and settings; applications of contemporary gender studies and queer theories);
- Tarr’s source materials and international influences;
- the politics of studying, teaching, researching, and publishing on Tarr today.
How to submit
We are also seeking 1- to 2,000-word book reviews of works of critical scholarship. To submit, or to discuss an idea for, an article or Tarr-related book review for the 2018 issue of JWLS, please contact either of its Co-Editors: Dr Louise Kane (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Dr Nathan Waddell (email@example.com).
Completed essays will need to be submitted to the JWLS Co-Editors by 1st April 2018, to allow sufficient lead-time for peer review. Publication is anticipated for the fourth quarter of 2018.